Help with Housing


Social housing in Glasgow is provided entirely by Housing Associations.  The biggest of these is the Glasgow Housing Association, which took over the housing stock owned by Glasgow City Council in 2003.  There are also a number of smaller Associations which operate in a particular area.  Some of these are substantial landlords with hundreds or thousands of houses on their books.  Each Association has different procedures for applying – some will require an application form to be filled in, others will require you to go through an interview and assessment to go on the housing list.

Housing Associations operate allocation policies.  These are the guidelines they follow when deciding how to allocate property to applicants.  There are more people on the waiting lists than there are houses, and sometimes obtaining a property can mean a frustrating wait.  You should make sure the Housing Association are aware of any particular circumstances regarding your household, such as disability, overcrowding, medical issues, incidences of anti-social behaviour, any problems with the fabric of your current house, issues with your current landlord etc.

It’s important to remember that Housing Associations are completely independent – they are run by management boards elected by tenants and members, not by the council or government.  Elected representatives such as your MP can put forward your case to the HA, but ultimately the decisions they take in allocating property are down to them.

Privately rented property makes up around 20% of the housing stock in Glasgow.  As a private tenant you have rights and responsibilities under the law.  The Shelter Scotland website provides a wealth of detail on these, depending on your circumstances.  You can find more information here.

Glasgow Housing Associationgha logo

Head Office: Wheatley House, 25 Cochrane Street, Glasgow, G1 1HL, Tel: 0800 479 7979

Since 2003, the GHA has taken over responsibility for the housing stock formerly owned by Glasgow City Council.  Whilst the GHA works alongside the council and other agencies, they are independent and are part of the Wheatley Group.  While GHA is the biggest landlord in Glasgow, there are many other Housing Associations across the constituency and city, separate from GHA, who you can apply to for housing.  Some of these are listed below.

GHA Local Offices

  • Cardonald – 59 Kelhead Path, G52 2QD
  • Nitshill, Craigbank, Priesthill, Darnley – 590 Nitshill Rd, G53 7SS
  • Govan, Ibrox, Cessnock, Shieldhall, Drumoyne, Langlands – 1 Dava Street, G51 2JA
  • Mosspark – 539 Mosspark Boulevard, G52 1SB
  • Pollok – The Wedge, 1066 Barrhead Road, G53 5AB

rosehilltheme_logoRosehill Housing Co-operative

250 Peat Road, G53 6SA.

Tel: 0141 881 0595

Rosehill Housing Co-Operative covers areas including Priesthill, Craigbank, Househillwood, and Nitshill.  Rosehill operate an open waiting list, meaning they allocate points reflecting the level of housing need of applicants.  Application forms are available from their website, or from my constituency office.  The co-op have an excellent reputation and track record, and work hard to help tenants and applicants alike.

Govan Housing Associationgovan ha logo

35 McKechnie St, G51 3AQ

Tel: 0141 440 0308

Govan Housing Association cover areas including Central Govan, East Govan, and Ibrox.  They own approximately 1,450 properties in these areas, with a mix of tenements, new build flats, and townhouses.  They also operate sheltered and supported accommodation for elderly people and those with particular needs.  Application forms are available from their office, through their website, or from my constituency office.

linthousehalogoLinthouse Housing Association

1 Cressy St, G51 4RB

Tel: 0141 445 4418

Linthouse Housing Association was formed in 1974 and is one of the oldest Housing Associations in Glasgow.  The Associations has over 1100 properties under its ownership and also provides factoring services for over 700 owner-occupiers.  You can apply via the online form on their website, or by contacting their office.

Glen Oaks Housing Associationglen-oaks

3 Kilmuir Drive, G46 8BW

Tel: 0141 638 0999

Glen Oaks operates mainly in Darnley, Arden, and Pollok, with shared ownership properties in Regents Park and Southpark Village.  There are 1250 properties owned and rented out by the Association.  Contact the Association to ask for a Housing Options interview.

sha-logoSouthside Housing Association

135 Fifty Pitches Road, G51 4EB

Tel: 0141 422 1112

Southside HA has a variety of homes on their books, mainly covering Pollokshields, Cardonald, and Halfway.  To apply for a house, contact them to arrange a Housing Options interview.

sanctuary logoSanctuary Housing

7 Freeland Drive, G53 6PG

Tel: 0141 876 4900

Sanctuary have a number of houses to let across Glasgow.  Contact their office for details on how to apply.

2013-11-28-15-39-28-Elderparkjpg-94981Elderpark Housing Association

31 Garmouth Street, G51 3PR

Tel: 0141 440 2244

EHA was established in 1975 to provide good quality, affordable rented housing.  The Association has around 1,240 properties under its ownership in the Greater Govan area.  You can apply for a property by filling a form out on their website, or stopping by the office here to collect one.


Homelessness means not having a home.  You don’t have to be living on the street to be homeless – even if you have a roof over your head you can still be without a home.  This may be because you don’t have any rights to stay where you live or your home is unsuitable for you.

You might be homeless if you are:

  • sleeping on the streets
  • staying with friends or family
  • staying a hostel or bed and breakfast hotel
  • living in overcrowded conditions
  • at risk of violence in your home
  • living in poor conditions that affect your health
  • living in a house that is not suitable for you because you are sick or disabled

If you are homeless, or worried about becoming homeless, you should contact the Shelter Scotland helpline 0808 800 4444 or the local homeless casework team.

Glasgow City Council have a legal duty to help people who are homeless or are threatened with homeless.  If you fall into these categories, you should contact the South Community Casework Service at: 1st Floor, Twomax Building, 187 Old Rutherglen Road, G5 0RE, Tel: 0141 276 8201.  Out of office hours, you should contact the Hamish Allan Centre at: 180 Centre Street, G5 8EE, Tel: 0800 838 502.  As a minimum the council will arrange for you to receive advice and information, and temporary accommodation.

shelter scotland logoShelter Scotland

Glasgow Hub: Breckenridge House, 274 Sauchiehall St, G2 3EH

Tel: 0808 800 4444

Shelter Scotland’s Glasgow Hub provides free advice on a range of housing, money and benefit issues. We also provide legal assistance and representation.  Our hubs are a one stop-shop for anyone facing a housing problem.

Shelter Scotland is a charity that works to alleviate the distress caused by homelessness and bad housing.  We do this by giving advice, information and advocacy to people in housing need, and by campaigning for lasting political change to end the housing crisis for good.  Shelter Scotland cannot house you, but we can give confidential help to people with all kinds of housing problems.

Shelter Scotland tackles the root causes of bad housing by lobbying government and local authorities for new laws and policies, and more investment, to improve the lives of homeless and badly-housed people.  Our influential campaigns bring aspects of bad housing to the attention of the media and the public, who help us fight for solutions.

G-Heatgheat logo

Tel: 0800 092 9002

G-HEAT has been established to provide independent advice on energy related issues to householders on a face to face basis, in their homes, and assist in Glasgow City Council’s strategic aim of eliminating Fuel Poverty.

Fuel Poverty exists where a householder has to pay more than 10% of their disposable income on energy for the home. Energy prices have increased dramatically over the past five years and it is estimated that over 100,000 households in Glasgow currently have to pay more than 10% of their net income to keep their homes warm, with around 35,000 households paying more than 20%.

The provision of independent advice on energy related issues to householders on a face to face basis, in their homes, is one way in which Fuel Poverty can be mitigated or reduced. Our aim is to deliver this service to householders in the city regardless of whether they are tenants or owner occupiers. The service will have a particular emphasis on assisting those who may be in Fuel Poverty and are having difficulty in keeping their home warm at an affordable cost.